Why a .uk domain is perfect for you and your business?
The .uk domain name is the new shorter, snappier domain aimed at UK businesses and an alternative to .co.uk. It's perfect for UK-based websites selling services and products to the United Kingdom as it instantly shows your visitors that you're located in the UK and can increase your chances of being ranked in local search engines databases such as Google UK .
The shorter length makes it easier for your clients to type and remember and looks better on adverts and signs. The .UK extension is set to become the new standard for UK websites, so order yours today in just a few clicks with DomainsFoundry.
Who can register .uk domains?
Anyone in the world!
There are no registration restrictions on .UK domains so any person, company, charity or organisation can register one.
If you haven't got a domain yet, then your perfect .uk domain is waiting for you. Use our free search to find your domain today!
Why register .uk domains?
The new, shorter .uk domain is perfect for any business looking to market and tap into the online marketplace.
This new domain extension was created by Nominet to provide a shorter domain extension for UK based individuals and companies to use. The .uk domain compliments the existing UK domains and acts as an additional choice for you to increase your online brand. The shorter .uk suffix makes it easier for you to market your website as you can use less characters in your adverts, is more memorable and faster for your visitors to type.
This is an official domain of the United Kingdom, so registering a .UK domain makes it instantly clear to your visitors that your domain is based and aimed at the UK market. This will help you increase engagement, trust and sales through your website.
Every .uk registered with DomainsFoundry comes with the extra protection of registering with a Nominet Accredited Registrar.
Trusted UK Company
We’re an independent, UK Limited Company founded in 2004 and helped register .UK domains for over 18 years.
Free Customer Support
Our friendly team of UK based support staff are here to help you get the most from your .UK domain.
Safely buy your domains knowing your personal details are protected and will not be passed on.
Free Control Panel
Manage every aspect of your domain names with our easy to use control panel.
Free WHOIS Privacy
Keep your name and address private with our Free WHOIS Privacy.
- Who uses .uk domains?
- .uk is a domain name for the United Kingdom (UK).
- Are there any restrictions on who can register .uk domains?
- No. Anyone or any business Worldwide can register a .UK domain name.
- Do I have to register both the .uk and .co.uk?
- No. However if you can register both we recommend doing so.
- I already own a .co.uk, do I have to register the .uk?
- No, although we recommend doing so.
- When did .uk launch?
- New .uk domains launched 10 June 2014.
- Can I transfer my .uk to DomainsFoundry?
- What are the benefits of registering .uk domain names?
- The .uk domain name is perfect for websites selling services and products to the United Kingdom as you will increase your chances of being ranked in local search engines databases such as Google UK
- What is the minimum registration term for .uk?
- 1 year.
- What is the maximum registration term for .uk?
- 10 years.
- Is WHOIS Privacy Protection available on .uk domains?
- Yes. You can protect your private details on your .uk domain name registration with our WHOIS Privacy Service.
- Are individual (personal) .uk registrations allowed?
- Do I need a trademark/brand name to register .uk?
- How long does it take to register my .uk domain?
- It normally takes just a few minutes to register your .uk domain name. If there's a delay during registration we'll let you know.
- How long does it take to transfer my .uk domain?
- It normally takes less than an hour to transfer your .uk domain name to DomainsFoundry. Exact times depend on how quickly you can release your .uk from your existing registrar.
- Do I need to provide additional information to register .uk?
- Are company or legal entities allowed to register .uk?
- Are there any nameserver requirements for .uk?
- 1-13 nameservers. Minimum / maximum nameserver.
- Is theft protection (domain locking) available with .uk?
- How long is there a transfer lock on .uk?
- Domains registered with DomainsFoundry have a 60 day lock from first registration or renewal.
- What is the grace period for .uk domains?
- Grace period is 90 days.
- What are the characters and valid character lengths for .uk domain names?
.uk domain names must:
- have minimum of 3 and a maximum of 63 characters;
- begin with a letter or a number and end with a letter or a number;
- use the English character set and may contain letters (i.e., a-z, A-Z),numbers (i.e. 0-9) and dashes (-) or a combination of these;
- neither begin with, nor end with a dash;
- not contain a dash in the third and fourth positions (e.g. www.ab- -cd.xxx); and
- not include a space (e.g. www.ab cd.xxx).
- When transferring my .uk domain to DomainsFoundry, will my DNS records (A, MX etc.) also be transferred?
When you transfer your domain name to DomainsFoundry, your domain's name servers (ns1, ns2 etc) will not change. If your previous name servers are still active, your DNS records will work as normal.
If you wish you can can switch your name servers to our super-fast name servers. You'll be able to change your name servers and configure DNS records using our DomainsFoundry control panel.
- When transferring my .uk to DomainsFoundry do I have to ask my existing domain company to do anything?
- Yes, you need your current registrar to change your domain's IPS Tag to transfer your domain to DomainsFoundry.
- Can I register an .uk domain name but have the owner/contact details registered to my company, client, friend or family member?
- Yes. You can enter the contact details for the person you wish to register the .uk after purchasing.
- Can a UK company register an .uk?
- Yes. Anyone can register .uk domain names, including UK individuals and UK businesses and organisations.
- Can I add/amend admin, billing and technical info for my .uk domain name?
- What is the restoration period for .uk domain names?
- 90 days.
- How do I host my .uk domain name?
To add hosting to your .uk simply select the web hosting option during checkout. You can also add hosting later by logging in to your DomainsFoundry account.
If you have a question about .uk domains please drop us an email at email@example.com
|Type||Country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the UK.|
|Usage||General use. Individuals and businesses in the United Kingdom.|
|Minimum registration||1 year|
|Maximum registration||10 years|
|Registration time frame||Immediately|
If you have questions about registering .uk domain names please contact us and we'll be happy to help.