Connecting to your account using SSH gives you secure control over your account and allows you to execute direct commands.
In this article we’ll explain how you can connect to your DomainsFoundry web hosting via SSH using PuTTY, an SSH terminal for Windows.
We also explain how you can convert your Linux PEM SSH key into PPK which PuTTY can use.
Before you start
Download and install PuTTY on your PC.
1. Convert your PEM SSH key to a PuTTY .PPK file
- Open PuTTYgen
- Click Conversions > Import key
- Select your PEM SSH Key.
- Change the Key comment to a more memorable name. E.g. yourdomain-ssh-key
- Enter a passphrase
- Click Save private key
- Enter a file name and save.
2. Load your PPK SSH Key into Pageant
PuTTY uses Pageant to manage and authenticate your SSH Keys. We’ll now load the new PPK SSH Key into Pageant.
- Open Pageant
- A ‘computer’ icon will appear in your Systray, located on the right of your Start bar, next to the time and date.
- Right-click the Pageant icon and select View Keys
- Click Add Key
- Open your PPK SSH Key
- Enter your passphrase
- Click OK
- Click Close
3. Open an SSH connection using PuTTY
- Open PuTTY
- Enter your Host Name. Usually your domain name
- Enter the SSH port. Most servers use a custom port.
- Click Open
- An alert will pop-up. Click Yes
- At the login as prompt. Enter your username. Press Enter.