.eu domain eligibility is changing as part of the withdrawal of the UK from the European Union. Rule changes from the EU mean on 1st January 2021 we will be no longer offering new registrations of .eu domains or renewing existing .eu domains unless;
- You have EU or EEA citizenship
- You have an EU or EEA residential address; or
- Your business, organisation or undertaking has an EU or EEA address
What happens to existing .eu domains registered in the UK
Per the EURid Brexit Notice existing UK registrants of .eu domains will be no longer eligible to hold a .eu domain. All .eu domains held by UK registrants will be suspended and deactivated on 1 January 2021 at 00:00:00 CET by EURid.
What can I do?
- If you have a valid address in the EU you can contact us to update your .eu domain registrant details to keep your domain valid and avoid suspension.
- If you do not have a valid EU address your .eu domain will be deactivated by EURid and removed from your account on 1st January 2021 in line with EURid Policy. Any services linked to your domain, such as a website or email will no longer work. If you are in this situation we can help you register a different domain name, such as a .uk, .co.uk or .com domain and migrate your DomainsFoundry services to use your new domain. Please contact our Support Team so we can assist.
How can I change my domain to a non .eu domain?
You can use our domain checker to find a new domain. After registering a domain please contact our Support Team who will be happy to help you migrate your DomainsFoundry email and web hosting services to use your new domain.
What should I do if my .eu domain gets suspended on 1 January 2021?
If EURid suspend your .eu domain on 1 January 2021 but you believe that you meet their eligibility criteria, you should contact EURid directly by emailing them on firstname.lastname@example.org.
What happens next?
As EURid issues more notices about the eligibility of .eu domains in regards to Brexit, we will update this support article with any further information as it becomes available.